Tuesday, January 20, 2015

In Memoriam

I remember you dancing a lot.  Whether it was a group or solo performance, it didn't matter.  The rhythm spoke to you...even that damn Electric Slide song.  My favorite dance compilation was to the Dirty Dancing soundtrack.  Please find Patrick Swayze up there and show him your moves.

I remember you taking us skiing for the first time...four kids to only one parent.  We got into a car accident on the way there...flew over a snow bank and into a ditch.  After we were towed out, you felt like we still needed to hit the slopes and not waste the trip.  What a trooper.

I remember you telling us to just "let it go"...way before Frozen came on the scene.  You urged us to be more carefree and less uptight.  Very important lessons for Type-A worriers.

I remember you on vacation.  You had fun, which you always did, but it was really heightened by tropical drinks and sunsets. Good times.

I remember you being a good sounding board.  A second mom.  You offered me a fresh perspective on my life, another fork in the road I could take.

I remember Friday night sleepovers and pizza dinners.  We could stay up later at your house, and you were always willing to let us spend the night and try to get out of Saturday morning cleaning at ours'.

I remember summers with you.  Beach trips and backyard BBQ's.  Days that started early and ended late without formal props and plans, but were magical just the same.

I remember your "every day is a gift" attitude.  You really felt and lived this way.  I always found it remarkable...partly because I'm pretty cynical, partly because you'd been through so much.  You  never let things get you down for long.  You always stood back up and truly enjoyed life, grateful for the tiny moments of each day.  Coffee on the porch, sunsets, a good book, sharing Facebook messages.

I remember you always encouraging us to live freely and love fiercely...whilst maintaining our independence and self-reliance.

I remember you being there when EJ was born.  And at his first birthday.  And at his second.  Thank you.

One week ago, a lovely, loving, brave, funny, smart, sassy woman passed away. She will be dearly missed by those who loved her, and even if you didn't know her, her life and what she stood for should be remembered by us all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment